At Trinity House Dental Practice, we want you to keep all of your own teeth for as long as possible. If you can spend more time on hygiene visits and education, it will mean less time having teeth filled or removed and less cost to you, the patient. Something we’re sure that you will welcome!
Better oral health is increasingly recognised as important to the body as a whole and not just the mouth. So, what are our 8 top tips to help you enjoy better oral health?
- Stop smoking. As well as the well known problems in relation to lung cancer and heart disease, smoking is a major contributory factor in oral cancer.
- Enjoy alcohol in moderation. Alcohol is another contributory factor to oral cancer, and smoking and alcohol together greatly increase the risk of cancer.
- Avoid fizzy drinks and sugary snacks. These lead to a massive increase in plaque which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Try and restrict food intake to mealtimes. Oral bacteria benefit from the constant nourishment that snacking can provide. If you must snack, then try and choose foods like cheese which is better for your teeth.
- Eat a well balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals. This will lead to healthier gums and therefore healthier teeth.
- Brush your teeth carefully twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. (Children under 7 should only use a pea sized amount of a low fluoride toothpaste).
- Floss everyday. Ask us how to if you are not sure – don’t worry – a lot of people don’t know how to do it properly until they are shown!
- Visit Trinity House Dental regularly for hygiene appointments.
Call us on 01935 415605 to book an appointment with the hygienist.